Spanish Residency for relatives of EU citizens
Family members of a Spanish citizen or of another citizen of a State member of the European Union, or of another State part of the Agreement of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, who do not hold the nationality of one of those States, when they will accompany him, and they will reside in Spain for a period of more than three months, they must request and obtain a family card for a citizen of the Union.
The citizen of the European Union or another State Member of the European Economic Area who grants his family member the right to reside in Spain, must have the right to residence for a period of more than three months as a worker, have insurance illness and sufficient financial means for the family unit, or if he is a student, he must have illness insurance and sufficient resources for the family unit.
The citizen of the European Union or another State Member of the European Economic Area who grants his family member the right to reside in Spain, must have the right to residence for a period of more than three months.
Not all the relatives of the European Union citizen have this right to reside in Spain.
We must bear in mind that not all the relatives of the European Union citizen have this right to reside in Spain. They can, therefore, apply for this residence permit, the people with the following family ties:
- Spouse, provided there has been no agreement or declaration of nullity of the marriage or divorce.
- The couple with whom you maintain a union analogous to the conjugal (registered partnership) registered in a public registry and, provided that such registration has not been cancelled.
- The direct descendants and those of the spouse or registered partner under 21 years of age, over 21 years of age living in their charge, or incapacitated.
- The direct ascendants and those of the spouse or registered partner, who live in charge of the European citizen.
- Other family members who meet the following requirements to be able to find themselves in the scope of current legislation:
- That these relatives are living in the care of the EU citizen
- That, for serious reasons of health or disability, it is strictly necessary for the EU citizen to take charge of the personal care of the member of his family.
- The partner (not registered) who you maintain with a stable relationship duly proven by proving the existence of a lasting bond.
In the event that the European citizen is a student and not a worker, he / she may regroup in the community scheme all previous family members with the exception of ascendants.
If the relative is in Spain, it must be presented at the immigration office corresponding to the address of the European citizen, and in case the family member needs a visa to travel to Spain, the procedure will be carried out at the Spanish Consulate of their place of residence.
Given that this authorization covers a large number of relatives, dependents of the European citizen relative, in Sterna Abogados, as specialists in Immigration Law, we put at your service our experience for any question and we help you to find out if you are in one of the cases contemplated by law, if you meet the legal requirements and what documents are necessary to prove it.